In 2018, Baldwin et al. analyzed the six most widely used quality metrics and discovered 12 commonalities:
- Objectives are available
- Navigation is intuitive
- Technology is used to promote learner engagement/facilitate learning
- Student-to-student interaction is supported
- Communication and activities are used to build community
- Instructor contact information is stated
- Expectations regarding quality of communication/participation are provided
- Assessment rubrics for graded assignments are provided
- Assessments align with objectives
- Links to institutional services are provided
- Course has accommodations for students with disabilities
- Course policies are stated for behavior expectations
UGA is a subscriber to Quality Matters (QM), one of the six instruments analyzed and a nationally recognized, research based, peer-evaluation tool for online courses.
Two high quality course assessment rubrics that are freely available are:
Please request a consultation with one of our instructional designers for access to QM or more about assessing course quality.